Skip to main content

Please Me

I discovered something about my daughter earlier.

She was trying so hard to make me proud.

So we had a slight miscommunication about it. And I'm glad its out in the open. Maybe its partly my fault, maybe not. Who knows? 

I should be happy about it, yeah? Part of me, yes. But the other half, no. I don't need her to do something that she knows she doesn't have the heart to do just so she can make me proud. 

Being her mommy makes me proud already.

Here's the story behind it: 
She was chosen as the candidate of Bb. Kalikasan for Grade 6. She proudly announced it to me when she got home from school. Seeing her excitement and enthusiam made me go on a full stage-mother mode. I started contacting family, friends, "connections" to ask for their recyclables. Started browsing for gown designs which uses recycled materials, started planning for her talent, costumes et al. 

See, 100% stage-mom mode.

Since I was so busy preparing for her, I failed to see her lack of enthusiam. All along I thought that she just doesn't want to help and just simply lazy.

So Waldy asked her how she really felt and she confided to both of us that she accepted it because she thought its gonna make me proud of her.

My point in telling this?

We put so much expectations on our children that we neglect to see that deep inside they are drowning in shallow assumptions. That they need to be MORE in order to make their parents proud.

Different times calls for different approach.

To be honest, when she revealed that she doesn't want to join the pageant, she made me even proud and happier.

1. She's smart and confident. Because she knows what she wants and backing out of the pageant is not a sign of low self-esteem.
2. She has control of her own dreams and destiny. 
3. She made my load lighter. Now, I don't have to stress my self out too much. I can relax and focus on other matters.

Thank God for strong daughters! 




Comments

Popular Post

The finest wine.

They said that men are like fine wine, they get better in time. I couldn't agree more. Being with Waldy for almost 7 years is not too long compared to others, but I can definitely say that this simile definitely applies to him.  2016 was such a challenging time for the both of us in all aspects of our lives. I've seen him struggle with personal issue and his career. I've been with him on his downest moment and still is present beside him today as we face a new year full of hope and renewed goals. It wasn't easy, but its all worth it. Seeing him commit mistakes and get back up after being down doesn't make me a better person than him, but it made me realized that I am also brave and strong. Because it takes a lot of courage and faith to hone a great man. As the other saying goes : " Every great man is a great woman. " So, I guess I can say that its a win-win for us. As we move along with life, we mold each other into a person th...

10 Important Tips to Consider in Choosing an a Health Insurance Plan

December is always the most celebrated month in the Philippines. This is the time we honor the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. But, let's all admit that we look forward to this season because of the bonuses and 13th month. And let's also admit to ourselves, that most of the Filipinos are "one-day-millionares". We tend to spend rather than save or invest. Finding the right healthcare plan is not always easy, especially if one is doing it on their own. Availing of a health insurance is a highly individual exercise because each person has different needs. A freelancer’s requirements, for instance, will be very different from that of an employed parent. Someone who lives a sedentary lifestyle will have different needs from that of someone more active. There are many things to consider when one is trying to decide on a plan best for them, so it’s important to closely study one’s options before eventually selecting one. Maria Health, the Philippines’ first...

GLOBAL WELLNESS DAY PH

The worldwide celebration of GLOBAL WELLNESS DAY yesterday, June 11, 2016, from 7am to 11am at the 2nd Floor of FTX Fitness Exchange. The celebration was a huge success as people from different walks of life gathered and pledged to the aims of this advocacy, which are: To recognize the value of our lives, to pause and think, even if for just one day of the year,  to be free from the stress of everyday city life and bad habits, to make peace with ourselves, and to raise awareness about living well and increase motivation, not justfor today, but for the remaining 364 days of the year.   Early morning beauties getting ready for a healthier us! There's always a first!  I'm saying yes! Butt shot with Jazz Rodriguez, our yoga instructor. My first try on yoga : The best! My nephew Juan enjoying scalp massage. (Video and photos courtesy of Occasions of Joy ) GWD   is   an   entirely   not-for-profit   day, ...