Skip to main content

Cakes and Us

I remember ate Joy saying that we need to have separate time for each of our kids. Back then, I didn't really pay too much attention since Izhi is my only child and we spend most of our time together, eating out, playing, watching movie, reading, shopping and the need to catch up on each other is far from our mind. We enjoyed each other's company for 9 years and I love the fact that I gave her all the attention and love that she needs.

Enter Yuri in our lives, and the whole story changed. 
Our mommy-daughter bonding became less and less because of added responsibility on my side. Being busy all day with my occasional projects, house chores, cooking, my routine task for Yuri, helping her with assignments. Most days, we only have a few minutes to sit and talk about her day. I listen to her when she raves about how productive she was at school, the good things she did, her friends, even when she rants about her classmates that she dislike.

These days, going out with her alone seems almost impossible.

I received a message from ate Joy and she told me that she signed us up for an event. Most of the time,  don't have any idea what event we're heading to, but this time she sent me a picture of the invite!

We were thrilled to know that we're going to a baking class with The Maya Kitchen. The name Maya has been a household name ever since I can remember. When I was kid and they introduce pancake to me, Maya hotcake mix was the brand used. I also always make it a point to have a stock in our pantry for when I crave, I can just get the box out and cook it. I'm passing the tradition to my daughter as I slowly introduce product brands that is here for decades.

Since the Waldy and Yuri are sleeping in ( we stayed until midnight at BGC), I decided that this would be a great opportunity for Izhi and I to catch up and girl-bond. Baking class is the way to do it! It felt like I'm back in college when we get to the kitchen. I told her all about my baking experience at school; the time when we tried baking a chocolate cake for the first time and the finish product doesn't look the same as what we have made, the tiring process of making a fondant icing, etc. We talked about our favorite TV show, Cake Boss and how they made baking look easy. Then we were taught how to make Corn dogs while waiting for our cake to finish; a pack of Maya's pancake and baking mix, 2 cups of warm water, and hotdogs. It was easy and fun, but eating it is way more fun!

This bonding over baking experience is one for the books for Izhi and I. Its one of those memories to share when she grows up and I grow old. Those times when we will both look back and tell each other that we had fun doing this.

Check out some of the highlights and stolen shots of the class;








             ( photos from top to here are taken from Maya Hotcake Mix Facebook page )












Comments

Popular Post

The finest wine.

They said that men are like fine wine, they get better in time. I couldn't agree more. Being with Waldy for almost 7 years is not too long compared to others, but I can definitely say that this simile definitely applies to him.  2016 was such a challenging time for the both of us in all aspects of our lives. I've seen him struggle with personal issue and his career. I've been with him on his downest moment and still is present beside him today as we face a new year full of hope and renewed goals. It wasn't easy, but its all worth it. Seeing him commit mistakes and get back up after being down doesn't make me a better person than him, but it made me realized that I am also brave and strong. Because it takes a lot of courage and faith to hone a great man. As the other saying goes : " Every great man is a great woman. " So, I guess I can say that its a win-win for us. As we move along with life, we mold each other into a person th...

10 Important Tips to Consider in Choosing an a Health Insurance Plan

December is always the most celebrated month in the Philippines. This is the time we honor the birth of our savior, Jesus Christ. But, let's all admit that we look forward to this season because of the bonuses and 13th month. And let's also admit to ourselves, that most of the Filipinos are "one-day-millionares". We tend to spend rather than save or invest. Finding the right healthcare plan is not always easy, especially if one is doing it on their own. Availing of a health insurance is a highly individual exercise because each person has different needs. A freelancer’s requirements, for instance, will be very different from that of an employed parent. Someone who lives a sedentary lifestyle will have different needs from that of someone more active. There are many things to consider when one is trying to decide on a plan best for them, so it’s important to closely study one’s options before eventually selecting one. Maria Health, the Philippines’ first...

GLOBAL WELLNESS DAY PH

The worldwide celebration of GLOBAL WELLNESS DAY yesterday, June 11, 2016, from 7am to 11am at the 2nd Floor of FTX Fitness Exchange. The celebration was a huge success as people from different walks of life gathered and pledged to the aims of this advocacy, which are: To recognize the value of our lives, to pause and think, even if for just one day of the year,  to be free from the stress of everyday city life and bad habits, to make peace with ourselves, and to raise awareness about living well and increase motivation, not justfor today, but for the remaining 364 days of the year.   Early morning beauties getting ready for a healthier us! There's always a first!  I'm saying yes! Butt shot with Jazz Rodriguez, our yoga instructor. My first try on yoga : The best! My nephew Juan enjoying scalp massage. (Video and photos courtesy of Occasions of Joy ) GWD   is   an   entirely   not-for-profit   day, ...